Caridina japonica - breeding Vol.2

Through building and maintaining beautiful nature aquaria people re-learn the intricate connections between forms of life, plants, fish, microorganism and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth. TAKASHI AMANO

9/02/2006

One female is ready :-)

Today one of my females released all the eggs. They hatched in the early morning hours. I returned that female back to the main 180 liter planted tank. She is behaving as normal.
After a few hours spent in freshwater hatching jar, the larvae are transferred to the marine water tank. I could count around approx 40 larvae, could be more.
So far I changed the water 3 times (20%). Water salinity is maintained at 1.025 SG (33.2).
I fed today a bit more with phytoplankton.
I had a problem with larvae getting stuck in the water surface. I read Noren's article again where he mentions this problem and increasing water flow (air flow through the air stone) should fix that problem. Now the water flow is a bit stronger.
Two females to go. I fed the females (in the hatchery jars) with very little algae Hikari food today and they are eating it.